i’ve finally finished a large, secret project, on which i was working pretty exclusively for the past month! so now i actually have some stuff i can post. phew!
at the airport on my way to stitches midwest, i cast on for a sweater for my boyfriend in cascade 220. all summer, he’d been reaching over to whatever i was knitting at the time and saying things like, “i’d wear a sweater in something that felt like that” or, “you should make me something in those colors.” so, i picked out a few good colors, bought “knitting workshop,” and set about making him a seamless, set-in-sleeve hoodie.
it was pretty straightforward. i knit the whole thing in the round, so it was really quick. the finishing is what got me. i had about a million and a half ends to weave in!
since i was using an elizabeth zimmerman pattern, i just had to “unvent” something – a lined hood knit in one piece. it came out exactly as i’d planned, except for the fact that my steek stitches were pretty bulky. but it’s definitely wearable and a good learning experience, and the construction just seems really intuitive to me.
i had to try it on before i finished the sides, just to make sure it worked out well.
and then i sewed the sides, practically invisibly!
also i thought the squeamish among you would appreciate this picture:
unfortunately, this sweater did not go off without a hitch. i swatched. i really did. i measured my stitch gauge and row gauge and determined, knowing both myself and cascade 220 very well, that i needed to go down a needle size and i would be absolutely fine. but somewhere along the line, cascade decided to up the quality of 220, switching from peruvian highland wool to merino. so even though i secretly measured about 5 of his sweatshirts and t-shirts (adding ease to the latter) and knit to that size, checking my gauge frequently, i was not prepared for the increased drape of the yarn. it came out much too long and a little too wide. so i felted it.
after felting, the sweater fits, in theory. or at least, it did, when it was wet. after he tried it on, i laid it flat to dry without pinning it out, and i guess it shrank a little because it was too small . so i reblocked it to measurements and am currently trying to overcome my fear of putting a zipper in the thing and get it done for our anniversary, which is in a little over a week! i think i can do it, right?
in other news i am totally and completely hooked on weaving. over the course of my class, i made three projects. dishtowels:
a twill sampler that is sort of pretty but also unphotogenic, and a scarf:
the best part is that the scarf totally matches most of my wardrobe:
i also finished a store hat and scarf, and made a really good dent in a lace shawl for the store. now that i’ve done a good amount of work on all of these projects for OTHER people, i’m ready to finally make something for myself. i can’t remember the last time i did that! i bought myself a few early birthday presents on my lunch break yesterday at stitches east, where i was working at webs.
i’m going to make an orenburg shawl for myself and there is nothing anyone can do about it! so there.