spinning and stuff!
well, i finally did it. i broke down and bought a very fast flyer and a jumbo plying head for my lendrum folding DT, which i haven’t used in over 6 months! i’m pretty happy with the decision to do so, since part of the reason i’ve been neglecting it is the lack of faster ratios and what i feel is my inability to get a good, bouncy yarn on it as a result. it’s probably my inexperience talking, but now it’s a moot point!
i tried out both of my purchases on some new fiber i bought from pigeonroof studios, a merino/silk blend in the colorway “mordant”. it’s out of my usual color comfort zone, but i’m always so jealous of the brightly colored handspun i see on ravelry, so…
i split it approximately in half down the middle and predrafted it to within an inch of its life because i wanted to make sure i spun it up nicely! i wasn’t too optimistic that the color sequence would be preserved when i saw my bobbins:
i did have a sort of disheartening moment, when i realized that i hadn’t taken off the head of my wheel since i got it and put it together…i may have worked on it for about half an hour trying to get the varnish unstuck! i used all of these things in my attempts:
yes, i blasted it with a hairdryer until i felt like the varnish softened up, then i jimmied it with a butter knife and hammered it while protecting it with a potholder. so what, it worked! either way, the finished yarn came out pretty well, if i do say so myself. considering the fact that i haven’t used that wheel in a while, and i’m still learning the new parts, i’m cautiously optimistic!